Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Fiction Press: "Friends Over Fire"

"Friends Over Fire" was the very first short story I wrote...apart from the stuff I did when I was six years old, I mean. It's a futuristic tale about a teenage girl living in a war-torn world who meets an unusual family and discovers things about them and herself. This story has been "published" in NU Sense, the black literary magazine of Northwestern University. I tried to revive it when I was a freshman, but it lasted exactly one issue. That issue included this story.

There is no discernable inspiration for this story. It's sci-fi, but I have read very little sci-fi. It's main character is a teenage girl, and I was a teenage guy when I first worked on it. Frankly, this story came out of nowhere. But it's probably the best story I've ever written. Weird how that works out.

So, check out my very first (real) short story, "Friends Over Fire" at this link:
http://www.fictionpress.com/read.php?storyid=1477021

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home